2899 East 41st Avenue
Comment on Development Application DE417377 under RT-11 Zoning
11 February 2014
I would like to commend the applicant on:
1. Providing considerable detail in the application, especially in the design rationale.
2. Matching the form of development to the location of the site. The site is across the lane from a park and next to a busy arterial. If the applicant can acquire the two neighbouring properties, the site will be next to a school. The only close neighbours would be across the street on Killarney Street. This is much better than locating a duplex/small house development in the middle of a block of single family houses.
3. Limiting the number of units to eight rather than a possible nine.
My two concerns are:
1. The dead-end lane cannot be used for garbage pick-up. On collection day, up to 24 bins would be set out along Killarney Street immediately north of 41st Avenue. This is a scenario both dysfunctional (in terms of traffic flow) and unsightly. Small houses on shared lots should also have shared garbage/recycling containers, especially where the alternative is setting the containers out on the street for collection.
2. There is a very attractive grove of trees on the southwest corner of the site. It would be good if at least some of these trees could be saved. (I have not seen the arborist’s report.)